Monday, November 5, 2007

the concentration train

So...the concentration train is still parked at the station.


And the train couldn't start chugging because the conductor thought he was driving a submarine, not a train. Meaning, in my quest to "produce" a piece of art this weekend, I actually forgot how to paint and over analyzed the entire process.
My concentration idea, though it is probably exceedingly stupid, and I'm only posting this because Ms. McBride made me and she knew I would say this, so woo there goes my element of surprise,
I was wondering if anyone who generally paints in acrylics could tell me if they work their pieces holistically or sectionally, and if they go for accuracy as the piece progresses, in the drawing stage, or in the original painting layer.
but it probably will be portraits in some form, and I want to focus on people's characteristics. When one day I saw two teachers out of their element, the classroom, at a gas station and at the library, it scared me.
Maybe if the conductor sees how the caboose functions, the rest of the function of his train will materialize....
And there it appeared. The secret lives of teachers. It's actually the most embarrassing thing ever...and I still am so confused, especially since I can't seem to do art anymore. Realistic portraits in the foreground, contour for their secret lives in the background?

I'm not sure if that made sense, but anyone with suggestions about how they work a piece would be great. For some reason, I feel as though I need a formula.



5 comments:

lhsap2danielled said...

aubrey...

...i think u should take a breatherr or something to relax. haha BUT ACTUALLY.
well i'm not the best at acyrilcs, but i think u should cover your whole surface first, so its not so overwhelming.

lhsap2MollyK said...

I really like your concentration idea! i think its brilliant i cant wait to see what you come up with!

Anonymous said...

i love your concentration idea!
its really original and i think you can do a lot within those parameters. you can create a whole story about your subjects, even go really edgy with it. are you going to do the portraits of teachers you know and create a realistic hidden life? i think i saw you with a picture of Mr. Price, so I'm going to guess thats a yes...
i think you second guess yourself too much and you should really just let go and do it. your work is very impressive and your humble attitude toward it makes it even better.
thanks so much for the suggestions. sometimes i feel like i have no creativity up in there, and its great to have things shook up once in a while.

and no, i have never done a sketchbook assignment with shoes. although thats a good idea, because i love shoes and hate my sketchbook. lol

amanda.

ps. thought i would make you feel less embarrassed by responding with an equally long comment.

amanda said...

you're psycho haha you're sneaky tactics and attempts to hide your concentration didn't fool me!!! i read it so there!! and it's cool! i think it's a splendid idea. by the way, did you like how i blocked your traffic today in the library parking lot? haha hope it gave you a scare...

amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.